Is your pet poisoned?

If your a dog lover, it’s never going to be easy when your pet succumbs to a serious illness or injury, and you’re not quite sure what to do?

Did you know there’s over 100,000 dog poisoning each year, and that most these are caused by simple things laying around the house. The two main sources of dog poisoning are your medications and certain types of foods.

So how would you know if your pet has been poisoned? Some of the main things to look for are gastrointestinal upset, neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory problems, coma and even death.

The most common source of dog poisonings is medications that are used for people. The largest source are medicines like Ibuprofen, anti-depressants, and other medications that are quite common to the average household. A lot of times this is because we’ve dropped a pill on the floor and we thought that it’s out of sight, but unfortunately your dog has found it.

The second on the list of common dog poisons, is what we use to cure their flea and tick problems with the common treatments. Many times we give the wrong dose to our dogs, we end up giving too much where these medications do a lot of harm to our pets.

The third cause is people food. Some food and beverages that are good for people can actually become quite dangerous to our pets – and sometimes even fatal. Chocolate, though not dangerous to people, actually contains a chemical compound. This dog-dangerous chemical is called Theobromine. Theobromine and even caffeine are both found in chocolate – but the main problem seems to be the theobromine. Both of these substances are called methyl xanthines. They can cause serious problems like, vomiting an diarrhea, and when ingested in higher doses they can even cause death. And if it’s dark chocolate, it’s even more toxic to your dog.

The fourth toxin to be aware of are poisons we use to kill rats and mice. Rodentcides when ingested by dogs can cause very severe problems. The symptoms will depend on the amount that’s been consumed, and the type of poison used. Symptoms can even take several days to present themselves, which many times depends on whether or not your dog actually ate the poisoned rodent, or if in fact they ate the poison directly.

The fifth on the list is pet medication. Most common would be pain medications and de-wormers.

The sixth source is plants and flowers. Three common holiday plants are poinsettias, holly and mistletoe. While these plants are not particularly dangerous o the pet, they can cause major gastrointestinal upset. So be careful around the Christmas holidays.

Harmful chemicals of course make the list coming in number seven. These include harmful chemicals left around the house like bleaches and household cleaning things that need to be put away and out of reach when there’s children around, but our pets are no different. If your pet gets into these, the symptoms would be stomach upset and burns.

Toxic heavy metals are ninth on the toxic list. The sources could be old paint that your pet has eaten or other substances, and even pet food, which has also been found with high levels of lead, mercury, arsenic and many more toxic metals.

Lawn fertilizer comes in at number ten on the list. Notice that when you’re lawn is fertilized, there’s and sign that’s posted on the lawn that says to keep your children and pets off the lawn, until the chemicals have dried.

If you suspect your dog or cat has been poisoned, stay calm, and be sure to comfort your pet. Act fast and contact your trusted holistic vet.